6. Too much colour. Choose a colour palette and stick with a few similar hues.
7. Too much of a good thing. Mixing and matching too many elements in your yard could look sloppy and not well thought out.
8. Poor maintenance. You should try to weed twice a month. If you don’t have time, hire someone.
9. Budget. Make a list of what you’re willing to spend and stick to it.
10. One-season landscape. Plan for plantings that bloom or offer colour all year round.
11. Have a plan, Stan. Plot it out on paper, make a list of your materials and costs, run the idea by all those in the household and then implement.
– adapted from an article in the NSN.